Cooley's Lodging House
No trace of a 'Cooley' can be found in any Thrawl Street lodging house records, however Nos. 16-17, on the corner with George Street, were owned by John Cooney from 1881. Cooney was a prominent local lodging house keeper who also owned many notorious properties in Brick Lane, Flower and Dean Street (see Cooney's Lodging House), George Street, and Old Montague Street. It is therefore likely that 'Cooley's' is a mishearing or misspelling of his name and that Kelly lived at 16-17 Thrawl Street when she first met Barnett.
The buildings would have been demolished to make way for Keate House which was opened in 1908.
- Western Mail, 12th November 1888
- Register of Common Lodging Houses (London Metropolitan Archives)
- Survey of London, vol.27. (Ed. FHW Sheppard, 1957)