London E1 (Whitechapel), E2 (Bethnal Green). Designated part of the B108.
Significant road running north-south from Bethnal Green Road to Whitechapel Road. Its southernmost section was called Baker's Row as far as the junction with Hanbury Street. It then continued northwards as Charles Street , New Charles Street , Wellington Street and White Street. Charles Street was later incorporated into Baker's Row when the latter was widened in the late 19th Century. Eventually, all the streets were renumbered and renamed Vallance Road on 21st January 1896. It was named after W. Vallance, clerk to the Metropolitan Board of Guardians.
It was the site of the Whitechapel Union Infirmary (on its eastern side) which eventually became St. Peter's Hospital in 1924 and was demolished in the 1950s. Nearby Hughes Mansions (built 1929) were partially demolished by a V2 rocket on 27th March 1945. It was the last explosive device of the war to fall on London and resulted in 134 deaths.
East End gangsters Ronald and Reginald Kray lived with their family at 178 Vallance Road from 1939 (the house is now demolished).
For relevant information on events surrounding the Whitechapel Murders, please refer to Baker's Row.
- Ordnance Survey Map, edition of 1973
- The London of Jack the Ripper: Then and Now; Robert Clack and Philip Hutchinson (Breedon 2007)
- Account of the bombing of Hughes Mansions by Dr. Ben Glaizner