Wilmott's Lodging House
Common lodging house situated at 18 Thrawl Street, Spitalfields. First registered on 12th May 1852 when it was owned by Patrick Henley, George Willmott took over in November 1863 for a mere three years. He also acquired lodging houses at Nos. 11-15 Thrawl Street. He then took ownership of No.18 again in 1870 but passed it on to Joseph Davies two years later, although he kept his other properties until 1891. A modest-sized house (by comparison with other such places in the area), Wilmott's was registered to hold approximately 70 residents. The owner in 1888 was actually Alfred Wood , although the name 'Wilmott's' was obviously retained for many years thereafter.
Mary Ann Nichols had lodged at Wilmott's from 2nd to 24th August 1888, where apparently for 4d she shared a 'surprisingly clean' room with three other women. She also shared a bed with Emily Holland. At 2.30am on the morning of her death, 31st August 1888, an inebriated Nichols met Holland who tried to convince her to return to the lodging house.
Wilmott's may have survived the redevelopment of the eastern end of Thrawl Street in the early 20th century - Keate House was built on the south-east corner with George Street in 1908, on the site of lodging houses at 16 & 17 Thrawl Street and No.18 appears to have been converted by two smaller properties, listed as 18 and 18A.
That said, it did not survive the redevelopments of the 1970s.
- Register of Common Lodging Houses (London Metropolitan Archives)
- Illustrated Police News, 28th February 1891
- The Jack the Ripper A-Z, Paul Begg, Martin Fido, Keith Skinner (Headline 1996)
- Inquest report, The Times, 4th September 1888
- MEPO 3/140 ff.79-80
- Survey of London, vol.27. (Ed. FHW Sheppard, 1957)
- Goad Fire Insurance Map, 1956