Murder site of Alice McKenzie, 17th July 1889. Now part of Old Castle Street - Whitechapel E1.
Castle Alley appears (though unnamed) in maps as early as 1676, joining Castle Street via a narrow passage to Whitechapel High Street. By the mid-18th century, Castle Street had been given the 'Old' prefix and the future Castle Alley was known as 'Moses and Aaron Alley' a name it appears to have kept until c.1800 . In 1830, it appears as 'Castle Court'. The name Castle Alley was certainly in use by the mid-19th century.
TO BE CONTINUED >>>>
- John Ogilby and William Morgan, Survey of the City of London, 1676
- John Rocque, Plan of the cities of London and Westminster and Borough of Southwark, 1746
- John Wallis, Wallis's Plan of the Cities of London and Westminster, 1801
- C & J Greenwood, Map of London, 1827 (updated 1830)
- Stanford’s Library Map of London and its Suburbs, 1862