Commercial Street Chambers
Common lodging house situated at 15-20 Dorset Street (south side). First registered in May 1864 when it was owned by Richard Worley. In 1870 it was reopened by George Willmott (who also owned Wilmott's Lodging House in Thrawl Street) before William Crossingham took over in 1879. It was a men's lodging house and could apparently hold 244 lodgers.
Often referred to as 'Commercial Street Chambers' in the press , although the fact that it was owned by William Crossingham has often led to confusion with Crossingham's Lodging House which was situated at 35 Dorset Street at the other end and other side of the road.
Witness George Hutchinson undoubtedly stood in front of this lodging house, which was opposite the entrance to Miller's Court, between 2.00 and 3.00am on the morning of 9th November 1888, waiting for Mary Jane Kelly and her mysterious companion to leave the court.
The property survived as a lodging house for many years and was eventually demolished along with the entire south side of Duval Street in 1963 to make way for a van and lorry park.
- Register of Common Lodging Houses (London Metropolitan Archives)
- Morning Advertiser, 10th November 1888
- The Echo, 9th & 10th November 1888
- Statement of George Hutchinson, 12th November 1888, MEPO 3/140, ff. 227-9
- Kelly inquest papers - MJ/SPC, NE1888, Box 3, Case paper 19 (London Metropolitan Archives)