Cooley's Lodging House

From Jack the Ripper Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Common lodging house in Thrawl Street, Spitalfields, where Mary Jane Kelly was apparently living at the time she first met Joseph Barnett in April 1887.[1]

No trace of a 'Cooley' can be found in any Thrawl Street lodging house records, however Nos. 16-17, on the corner with George Street, were owned by John Cooney from 1881. Cooney was a prominent local lodging house keeper who also owned many notorious properties in Brick Lane, Flower and Dean Street (see Cooney's Lodging House), George Street, and Old Montague Street[2]. It is therefore likely that 'Cooley's' is a mishearing or misspelling of his name and that Kelly lived at 16-17 Thrawl Street when she first met Barnett.

The buildings would have been demolished to make way for Keate House which was opened in 1908.[3]


  1. Western Mail, 12th November 1888
  2. Register of Common Lodging Houses (London Metropolitan Archives)
  3. Survey of London, vol.27. (Ed. FHW Sheppard, 1957)